9467: German navy in Haiti in 1900: Corbett needs more data

>From Bob Corbett

Special thanks to Robert Wilkner who sent me a scanned copy of
a postcard of the German navy visiting Port-au-Prince in 1900.

I have loaded it up to my history web site. Please see:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/history/1844-1915/germans.htm

I would love to have more data to add to the page.  What sorts
of reasons might have brought the German navy to Haiti at that
time?  Routine refueling?  The Ludder's affair -- I can't recall
when that was.  Other acts of gunboat diplomacy?  A social
visit?

All thoughts and data are most welcomed.

Bob Corbett