9729: 2 observations on corruption (fwd)

From: Lance Durban <lpdurban@yahoo.com>

Two observations on the recent corruption discussion...

1.  Recalling my own days as a UN consultant to the Haitian
    Government in the late 70's/early 80's, my impression at
    that time was that more resources were lost through gov't
    incompetence and mismanagement than through corruption,
    although my experience was at a relatively low level.

2.  Corruption is not always clear cut.  You almost never
    find the proverbial smoking gun unless government
    auditors are running sting operations.  'Acceptable'
    corruption might be finding  a government job for your
    (qualified?) relative and/or having the gov't project
    you oversee buy the cement blocks from your brother.
    In today's Haiti, many people will assume that a
    corrupt official who has been identified is just
    someone who fell out of political favor.

Regards,
L Durban