9897: Refugee update from the INS (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

December 6, 2001

HAITIAN NATIONALS INTERDICTED AT SEA DECEMBER 3, 2001
STATUS REPORT

„h 185 Haitian migrants are being detained by the INS in Miami.  They
arrived here on December 3.

„h There are 142 adult males, 27 adult females, 15 minor males, and 1 minor
female.

„h The adult detainees are being housed in detention centers.  Females with
children are being detained in a more suitable environment.  Unaccompanied
minors are being housed at a facility specifically for children.  The needs
of all detainees are a top priority for the INS and they are being met
continuously.  At this time, there is no need for assistance from the
community.

„h Each detainee is required to be detained while the INS processes their
cases.  This process includes a number of interviews that will take several
days to complete.

„h The INS is conducting a criminal investigation into this smuggling event,
and that will factor into the decision to consider releasing some detainees.

„h Those detainees who are eligible for release and meet the criteria that
INS uses (not a threat to the community, not a flight risk) will be
considered for release when we have completed our initial processing.  I
cannot tell you how long this will take, but the INS is working hard to
complete its job.

„h While we are in the process of completing the initial stages of
processing, and because this is an on-going criminal investigation, I cannot
provide the names of the detainees.  I am also unable to allow any visitors
at this point.

„h The INS is confident that we will complete the initial processing of
these migrants¡¦ cases in a timely manner.  We ask that the community
exercise patience and understand that the INS is required to conduct a
thorough investigation into the arrival of these migrants.  When the INS has
information related to the possible release of these migrants, we will
inform family members and those within the community with whom we work on a
daily basis.

„h We remind the community that entry into the United States by this means
is not only illegal, but also very dangerous.  The INS is committed to
stopping illegal immigration, which unnecessarily puts peoples' lives in
danger.

John C. Shewairy
Chief of Staff, INS Florida District