9939: Haiti: French envoy condemns attacks on Haitian journalists (fwd)

From: Robert Benodin <r.benodin@worldnet.att.net>

 Haiti/France: French envoy condemns attacks on Haitian journalists
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Dec 11, 2001

French Ambassador Yves Gaudeuil condemns the attacks on journalists in the
country. Gaudeuil says that many Haitian journalists have been the subject
of threats in the execution of their duties whereas the justice department
is a long time in arresting the evildoers who are doing that. He wishes the
judicial authorities to put an end to this bad practice that is taking shape
in the country. An excerpt from Gaudeuil's statement follows:
[Gaudeuil, in French] Indeed, freedom of the press appears threatened by
some aspects. It was nevertheless one of the important acquisitions since
1986 and then with the restoration of constitutional order. It is very
important to keep this freedom of the press. The spokesman for the Ministry
of Foreign Affairs clearly expressed his opinion on this point. I believe
that I do not have much to add. Obviously, we remain very watchful on this
matter. We are exactly at the Magistrates School. It is advisable that this
matter be given the necessary judicial follow-up. This is what we hope.
Source: Signal FM Radio, Port-au-Prince, in Creole 1230 gmt 10 Dec 01
/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.