a124: Haitian journalists: Chamberlain replies to Grey (fwd)

From: Greg Chamberlain <GregChamberlain@compuserve.com>

> In the coup of 1991 journalists didn't get the chance
> to opportunistically apply for political asylum, they
> were just plain murdered.  Remember Jackie
> Caraibe?

Yes, we all remember Jackie Caraibe and others
(including you, Kathy, if you want a look in...)

What do you suggest these fellahs should do
in these circumstances, then?  Do you think
they all became journalists knowing that this
magic Hour of the Visa would come?  Perhaps
even deliberately working towards it by
criticising the regime?

Should we continue with the lumping
together of all and sundry?  Assimilating
"opportunistic" with "receiving death threats."
Unless you really believe these guys have
made them all up...  Next we'll be getting to
Jews, Masons and... All Haitians Have AIDS...

Keep yer eye on the ball, Kath...

        Greg Chamberlain