[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
#4: Life magazines with stories on Haiti: From Bob Corbett
I've been working with getting my Life magazines together and displaying
them. I only know of 9 which featured a story on Haiti. Like National
Geographic they are more important for the photographic record they
present than the stories themsevles in most cases.
Below is the list of the ones I know of. Do any of you know of
issues I am missing which have Haiti stories (and photographs)>
I would appreciate any help you can give me to point me to new items to
List below. Thanks, Bob Corbett
1. Anon. THE U.S. INVITED TO ARBITRATE A MASSACRE IN ITS FRONT GARDEN.
Life. 1937 Dec 6; 3(no. 23):74-77. Note: lots of photographs.
2. Anon. BLACK HAITI: WHERE OLD AFRICA AND THE NEW WORLD
MEET. Life. 1937 Dec 13; 3(No 24):26-31. Note: Photographs by Rex Hardy, Jr.
3. ---. THE GAY COLORS OF HAITI GLOW IN "PRIMITIVES" BY YOUNG
AMERICAN PAINTER. Life. 1940 Jan 1; 8(No. 1):34-36. Note: Paintings by
an American painter named Benedetto. Look like Haitian primitives.
4, ---. CARIBBEAN CARNIVAL: "LITTLE WORLD'S FAIR" IS
HAITI'S BIG BID FOR TOURISTS. Life. 1950 Mar 13; 28(No. 11):98-108.
5. ---. A CAPRICIOUS, COSTLY STORM: HURRICANE HAZEL
MEANDERS DESTRICTIVELY FRO HAITI TO HUDSON BAY. Life. 1954 Oct 24;
Note: Photos of damage in Jeremie. Also interesting story on Hanoi takeover.
6. Hall, Lee. THE MOB AND ITS MAN TAKE OVER IN HAITI. Life.
1957 Jun 10; 42(no. 23):41-44. Note: Great photos. Fignole, Pierre
Armand, Louis Dejoie.
7. ---. A WEIRD, FATAL DASH INTO TURBULENT HAITI. Life
Magazine. 1958 Aug 11; 45(6):22-23. Note: Photograph of Papa Doc in full
military uniform -- so young. Story of overthrow attempt.
8. ---. IT'S HELL TO LIVE IN HAITI WITH ... PAPA DOC. Life.
1962 Mar 8; 54(No. 10):28-31. Note: Also: Barry Farrell "Guns, Black
Magic, Torture Are What Papa 'Doc' Prescribes" pages 32-34
Picture of both Robert Heinl and a very young Michael. He had to be sent
back to the states because Duvalier's army was bothering him.
9. ---. JEAN-CLAUDE DUVALIER. Life. 1971 May 7; 70(no. 17):34-36.
Note: "I will continue the revolution with my father's fierce energy".