#4458: Batay Ouvriye press release (fwd)

From: Charles Arthur <charlesarthur@hotmail.com>

Ouvriye, Fanmi Lavalas

(Charles Arthur's note: Batay Ouvriye is a group that helps
workers to organise themselves. Among many other areas of organising, Batay
Ouvriye members have been active in the attempts to form trade, or workers'
unions in the textile assembly sector in Port-au-Prince, and at the Novella
coffee factory and Grand Marnier orange tree plantation in the North
Department.)

Press release of Batay Ouvriye - 24 June 2000

(translation from Creole of part of the press release by Charles
Arthur for the Haiti Support Group).

During the last week, Batay Ouvriye has experienced numerous
attacks at the hands of people who present themselves as supporters of Fanmi
Lavalas, and who stand in opposition to us as they continue to defend the
interests of the ruling class. These attacks have taken place in various
parts of the country - in the Central Plateau, in the Artibonite and in the
North-West.

- In the Communal Section of Batso (Saint Michel de l'Attalaye,
Artibonite) a member of the Fanmi Lavalas ASEK, Dilwi Damas, killed Wilno
Bonplan, brother of a member of Batay Ouvriye, blatantly and without
explanation. On June 7th, in broad daylight, he shot this young man several
times in the back.
We recall that this same Dilwi Damas has, for several years,
persecuted workers in this area. In 1997, it was he who tied up, beat, and
made them spend several days in prison...
Today, we are joining with the family of the victim to publicise
the movement against this assassin, and to try and force all the electoral
bodies (from the BEC to the CEP) to put a brake on this man's political
ambitions, especially in the electoral sense, and to stop him from appearing
on the list of those 'elected' and to prevent him from 'taking the oath for
the post'.  For us, in this sense, he has had none, and still has no,
legitimacy.

- In the Central Plateau, members of a Fanmi Lavalas popular
organisation in the Belladere-Lascohobas region waited to ambush one of our
members in this zone; it was only our self-control that stopped someone
being killed. When this didn't work, a group of armed men came and
surrounded the house where our member was known to sleep. This band of
scoundrels demonstrated that no matter when, no matter where, they'll get at
us, finish us off.

- In Platon Zefi, near Anse-Rouge in the North-West, a group of
people who declare themselves supporters of Fanmi Lavalas, a group of
mercenaries who work for the landlords, laid an ambush for our members after
a meeting of day-labourers and share-croppers. Then, the assassins attacked
the Batay Ouvriye members with machetes. But fortunately they miscalculated,
and the Batay Ouvriye members defended themselves, and drove these
scoundrels off.

For us, these events form part of a pattern over several months
(since the election period began) in which Batay Ouvriye has been in
serious confrontations with a group of people who call themselves
members of, or sympathisers with, Fanmi Lavalas. We have had to face a
packet of provocative acts, intimidation and threats. And now, after the
elections, the attacks are direct and armed.

These acts are not only made in the interests of, but in
collaboration with, the ruling class: they all mean to keep us workers
dominated and exploited, under their boots, all the  time....Supporters, or
rather members of Fanmi Lavalas, just like the foreign bosses, declare that
they must control everything that is done, everything that happens, and that
they must know everything - a framework that is totally in the interests of
the ruling class, and prevents workers from organising to lead an autonomous
struggle....

Batay Ouvriye denounces this reactionary, anti-popular project
that is developing in the practice of Fanmi Lavalas in various parts of the
country. Vigilance and resistance are needed by those who renounce this
project. At the same time, we are alerting national and international
opinion of the threats and direct attacks made against us.

Batay Ouvriye
BP 13326,
Delmas,
Haiti