15064: MariLinc: Re: 15057 Tou Dwat; Re:15048 MariLinc: Status of HC in French-speaking Canada (fwd)

From: MariLinc@aol.com

Tou Dwat wrote:

<< Could someone invite Mr Paradis to the broadcast.. He's a secretary of
state in canada who wants to save the 8 million francophone in haiti from
themselfs... >>

MariLinc (Marilyn Mason) replies:

The program is "in the can"; in other words, it has already been
professionally produced; it is being broadcast from tape on Friday, March
14th.

The producers have worked intensively for several weeks to produce something
of quality -- as a first step toward addressing this issue.

The fellow producing this program is NOT part of the system currently trying
to screw Haiti. He's NOT the enemy.

Tou dwat, I'm as angry as you and Jafrikayiti over official Canadian policy
regarding Haiti, but that does not equate that we should hate all Canadians.
Or that we should jump to the conclusion that anything coming out of Canada
must march lockstep with official policy and therefore merits our
condemnation. I have 5 Canadian grandchildren who think more like you and me
than like their government. I'm supposed to hate them because their Mom
married a Canadian and they live in the Montreal area???

David Gutnick of CBC wishes to present something which lifts HC. And he
happens to love Haiti. It's not his fault he was born in Canada!

Why not listen in to the broadcast BEFORE rendering judgments???

Within existing systems, we who care deeply about things cannot "coup d'état"
or "George Bush" our way into the executive decision making of those
established systems (such as CBC's programming directors), no matter how
passionate we may be. Rather, it behooves each of us to add soul and content
to what those who have the jobs are trying to do with their jobs.

Tou dwat, I don't know who you are but, let me assure you, IF Haitians
interested in Creole had EVER gotten their heads together BEFORE NOW to form
a more global public relations strategy on behalf of propagating Creole, a
blan like me would not have to be part of the cement to "fill in the gaping
voids".

Advocates of Haitian Creole need to do more than complain "after the fact"
that Creole is indeed in danger. They need to be working "arm and arm" with
others so that a wider pool of possibilities exists when extraordinary
moments (like this CBC program) present themselves.

The only reason this program has been produced and will be broadcast at all
anywhere is because of the "filling in the voids" actions of Pierre Bain of
KEPKAA in Montreal, Guy Antoine of Windows on Haiti in New Jersey, and myself
in Boston.

The program director first approached Guy to inform him that he wanted to
produce a program on this subject, within the context of his regular program
"C'est La Vie" (http://cbc.ca/cestlavie/); Guy then alerted me in Boston and
Pierre Bain in Montreal. Each of us was asked: Did we know anyone who could
provide information or contacts in the Montreal area.

We went into action within moments of receiving the request, coordinating our
activities from the "get-go". Something very rare within the Haitian context.
Something we've continued to do, just to disseminate the news of this
upcoming broadcast.

Within moments we suggested many possibilities to the producers. And led them
to abundant URLs which could provide a broader background context to the
issue they were researching.

They recorded an interview with one of our suggestions, but then were obliged
to approach others who seemed to be more willing to respond to further info
requests and to the interview process (immediate follow-through makes all the
difference in the world within the pressing deadlines of the professional
broadcast world!).

This program is NOT the final word on the subject. It merely hopes to put a
toe in the door to keep that door open.

Should Haitians as a group wish for more, it's about time they work together
and not leave it to just a handful of those willing to do the follow-through
to "fill in the cracks".

Marilyn

Marilyn Mason
The Creole Clearinghouse