17091: 17070 Independence celebrations (fwd)

From: "Jaqueline Labrom (Migration)" <voyageslumiere@haitelonline.com>

The Director General of the min. of Culture says that the main
Independence celebration which wil be held on the 1st of Jan, will be
at gonaïves with a Te Deum in the Cathedral and then speeches etc. in
the Gonaïves newly renovated Place.

The 1st of Jan. therefore will be just the normal 1st of Jan.
independence day celebrations in PauP

The 2nd Jan. they will have a parade downtown - but I understand that
probably is a parade of police and possibly school children.

What will be interesting later on in the year is I think in August -
the celebration at Bois Caïman - they`re going to have a Drum Festival
and bring in drummers from all over the world to be alongside our good
Haitian drummers.  Sounds wonderful - just a bit far away for those
who live in PauP.

As I get more information - he`s supposed to be sending me a calendar
of events - I will pass them on to you.

Jacqui Labrom
Voyages Lumiere