20110: Esser Re: 20081: (Chamberlain) re: 20062: Esser/McCalla (fwd)

From: D. Esser torx@joimail.com

Dismissing others as "rent-a-radical writers"  does little to improve
discourse, I invite you to have a discussion about the articles and
see where the writers with a good grasp are located, I guarantee you
that neither the writers you so summarily dismiss nor those of the
corporate media (To which you would count yourself, no?) have a
monopoly on having a grasp on a highly complex situation, but there
are many authors falling in that camp disliked by you, that have
broken news that others simply ignored.

The spectacle of the coup has not hidden Aristide's government from
view. Capable journalists will and are analyzing Aristide's
government one only has to steer clear from the mainstream media to
see such reporting which there's plenty of.

General statements like " Haitians of all classes have been
thoroughly abused and impoverished by the outgoing regime" (your
words) ring very hollow if one is not prepared to back it up. Can you
come up with data facts etc. to support that? We all know that
Haiti's economy has taken a turn for the worse in the past decade but
putting the blame squarely on Jean-Bertrand Aristide conveniently
ignores a number of facts, among them the issue of withheld
international aid as engineered by the U.S.. The Dominican economy
also has taken a turn for the worse as is evidenced by the fact that
over the last 2 1/2 months many more Dominicans left the island half
governed by Hippolito Mejia
( http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-o/g-opl/mle/mle/currentstats.html (Coast
Guard stats on intercepted migrants)) using your logic that calls for
ouster of the Dominican government that so thoroughly abused and
impoverished it's people? The analysis of economies be it local or
global is a highly complex topic and can not be summed up in one
sentence. Many other countries, namely former colonies populated by
natives and africans have economies that have  gone south in the last
decade, is that all only the rule of governments that impoverish their
populations?

May I suggest you tune in to listener supported non-commercial radio
station WBAI in New York City where on Thursday Doug Henwood an
economist will look at the Haitian economy on his program "Behind the
News" (5 pm - 6 pm local time). WBAI can be listened to over the web
at http://www.wbai.org .
.