a1011: Re: a1011 BDH & Charles Arthur (fwd)

From: Philip Richter <philipcrichter@hotmail.com>

To: Charles Arthur
I don't know much about the BDH, except that the old Office National de
Logement tax charged under Duvalier to Haitian peasants when they contracted
to rent government owned land and which formerly went to the Office National
de Logement for urban based government housing projects and their
administration (like Cite Soleil, Cite St. Martin, Cite Militaire, etc.) -
now, the receipts of the tax, still called, according to my informants, the
Logement Tax, go to the Banque de Development Haitien and enters their
credit reserves for poor producers throughout the country. Not a bad idea.
    The BDH was founded under the auspices of the Banque Nationale. Write to
Haitian lawyer about how that is done under Haitian law. I believe some
government reserves were simply granted to the bank. I think that members of
the Chavannes Jean-Baptiste founded peasant movement have extensive utilized
the services of the bank - I don't know if there are branches of the BDH in
the Communes. I have also have heard that Chavannes is an actionnaire of the
bank, but I always thought that it was actually the Papaye based movement
who was the actionnnaire under his name. I really don't know.
PCR