35epiph@mindspring.com37: Francophonie - francofolly (fwd)

From: Constantin Severe <csevere@hotmail.com>

This is in reply to the whole francophone discussion. How is French a
foreign language? Call it a colonial after effect or what have you, but it
is a language that has been spoken in Haiti for around 300 years and for
close to 200 years after independence. I agree that there should be an
emphasis on Creole first, then French. Accepting the figure that only 10% of
the population speaks French that would amount to 800,000 Haitians choosing
to speak it. The number would be higher if all those wanting to be educated
were. For whatever reason French has endured in Haiti and will continue to.
The only way to remove French from being a barrier to economic mobility is
to provide all Haitians with the opportunity to learn it.
I've known black and mixed race South Africans whose first or second
language was Afrikaans(a language used for divisive purposes by the
Apartheid era government). Those South Africans have made Afrikaans their
own just as Haitians have made French their own.