9170: road from Port-au-Prince to Hinche (fwd)

From: Martha O'Brien <mobfa1@mail.francis.edu>

Several weeks ago I heard from a friend of mine who is in Haiti that the road from Port-au-Prince to Hinche was impassable because a group protesting the deplorable condition of the road had cut a large "channel" into the middle of the road in order to stop traffic completely, hoping that this blockade would lead to some movement towards improving the road.  The protesters apparently also encouraged MAF to curtail their flights to Hinche, adding some additional weight to their cause.  Just the other day I heard second-hand that indeed work on the road has begun in earnest.  Sounds hopeful.....

Martha O'Brien
Instructor of Music
Museum 14
Saint Francis University