9812: Re: 9788: Slavin: Cell Phone Question (fwd)

From: Pascal Antoine <pascal.antoine@verizon.net>

> Has anyone gone to Haiti with a US cellphone and switched it over for
> temporary local service

I've asked about doing this but have always been told that it's more trouble than it is worth (especially if you are staying in Haiti only briefly.) Since I make many trips to Haiti, I have opened an account with Comcel (you can do this with a phone bought in Haiti or in the US). Minutes can be replenished with a Comcel card which can be purchased at almost any convenience store or gas station. As long as you use your phone at least once every 6 months, your account will remain active. The best part is that once I get to PAP, I can immediately start making calls if my account still has a balance.

Otherwise, I know that some phone models make it very easy to switch between services. You would have to do some research on which models these are, and which ones are compatible with both your US and Haiti cell phone service provdider.

Pascal Antoine - pascal@haitixchange.com
HaitiXchange
http://www.HaitiXchange.com
Peyi Nou Pap Tonbe