a269: RE: a254: Documenting misery (fwd)

From: Joel Dreyfuss <joel.dreyfuss@verizon.net>

I'm not sure what point Lois' friend is making here. Shouldn't the
journalist have asked the market woman why she worked in the garbage dump?
If he had suggested the woman had no choice, he would have been putting
words in her mouth. He was right to ask her for her own explanation
(especially since it was for television); that she failed to respond
reflects on the lack of trust or maybe the rarity of saying what you really
think in an open forum in Haiti. I don't blame the reporter; the assumption
that the journalist couldn't understand because of his class background is a
presumption that may not be warranted.