a553: Re: a531: Chickens (fwd)

From: Maxetluc@aol.com

I don't know of any commercial chicken breeders in Haiti.  I kept two roosters and two chickens (as well as some ducks and turtles) when I lived near Port-au-Prince, but I just walked over to the Petionville outdoor market and bought them.  The hard part was finding th eggs before they hatched.  Before I knew it I had fifteen chicks running around, which my houseboy promptly stole.

I suggest the orphanage director do the same at whatever market is closest.  They sell them live and it's upto the buyer whether to eat them or raise them.  It would probably be a good idea to bring someone who knows animals when he or she does, too.

Good luck.

Maxetluc